Friday, June 8, 2018

8 things I didn’t Do as a First-Time Mom



There are just so many things to keep in mind, to buy, to do, and want for your baby especially as a first-time mom. Being that I have many moms ahead of me, bests—my mom, my sisters, there were a few things I learned ahead from them that I wanted to do too and some that I no longer did or decided to do differently during my turn at motherhood. Now, not all things listed in here are good advice, if I have to be honest, I did them out of laziness/convenience and many may feel differently about it but it all worked out for us and my babies are happy and healthy!

1.       Sterilize bottles

It’s not like I never did, I mean I tried for like the first month, although I did not even do it daily as it is accustomed or should be. I attended a class in microbiology and remember my professor saying that she never did this, at times, she did not even boil water for her baby’s bottles and she said that it all turned out fine, so I kind of took that to the heart (lol!). After Isla’s first month, we pretty much stopped using our sterilizer and just washed daily. For Quino, we also tried, once or twice and being that we had a dozen bottles due to two babies, we gave up after the second try.-------babies are healthy and happy!

2.       Breastfeed

Again, it’s not like I never did. This is a bittersweet situation for me. With Isla I was so determined to but never produced enough to do so (as mentioned before, she even suffered near dehydration and was just fortunate to catch her right before things were turning for the worse). I pumped for the first month with her but could only produce 2-4oz in 4sessions even with diet, pills, teas, etc. I eventually gave up the idea and decided that my baby is best fed even if not breastmilk. And with Quino, because I also had an 11month old, I chose to stop breastfeeding after two weeks because I also had to cater to her. It worked out for the best for us because it allowed me to have more time to divide between my two babies.

3.       Went with expensive baby bottles

This one was more for convenience and not so much because I have anything against buying the pricier bottles. I wouldn’t say that I’m thrifty but I kind of just went with my gut feel on this one, less expensive bottles could possibly work. For my baby registry, I went ahead and chose Playtex Vent Air bottles instead of Avent or Dr. Brown’s and other brands for the sole reason that it was cheaper (haha!). I didn’t ask for a lot in my registry, just one set as I wasn’t sure how it will work for my baby (some babies are more finicky than others with bottle feeding particularly if they’re transitioning from breastfeeding to bottle feeding so don't go purchasing so many if you're not sure that they'll stick to it), and when we needed more, I wasn’t breaking the bank to get more. Playtex is about $10 cheaper (a set of 3 is $7.09 compared to avent’s or Dr. Brown’s that’s about $17.99) than the other brands and it worked wonders even on my colicky Isla. And for Quino, we used the same ones Isla used and we saved a good amount of money! This one I’d definitely recommend!

4.       Gave Rice Cereal

A big advice especially during my eldest sister’s time was to start your baby’s solids with rice cereal. Some doctors still advise you to but with my pediatrician’s permission, I went another route and gave green beans as my girl’s first solid and carrots for Quino. Scientifically, baby’s first solid doesn’t really define their palette as they don’t really develop difference in taste until 5months (some start solids at 4months) and their determination of liking vs not liking won’t really happen until after a few tries of the same food. I do however, wanted to make sure that my babies have a more complex taste and texture for their first try. More on my theories on food, on another post!

5.       Own an umbrella stroller

I really want one, I probably should have one or two being that I have two little ones but so far I just haven’t made up my mind in owning one. My single stroller was part of a travel system and I love it, it was pricey but received it as a gift and I just felt bad not using it anymore after the first few months so I’ve decided to keep it and continue to use it. I have the chiccobravo travel system and although it’s not the lightest weight stroller, it folds easily and compactly that I even use it in the city and during travel, just fold and it stores away in a corner of a small restaurant and doesn’t take as much space in a compact car.
After having Quino, I also got a compact double stroller (joovy caboose ultralight double stroller), which I love and get plenty of compliments of how much it looked like a single stroller. I purchased this one and would recommend it for moms with an newborn/infant and a toddler because it holds a carseat, seats a toddler and then covert to a sit and stand when both babies get a bit bigger. Being that it’s also pricey, I kept it and drag it along with me everywhere I am with the two babies. Umbrella strollers, especially some brands can also be quite pricey so my advice is if you decided on a travel system or a non-umbrella stroller in the beginning, stick to it to save you some $$$.

6.       Wash new clothes

Well I do but not always, only when I feel like it or don’t have the immediate need for it. Especially for Quino, I’ve decided not to purchase a lot of clothing and relied on gifts, hand-me-downs and Isla’s old clothes (yes, sometimes he wears pink!) so when I do buy clothes, it’s because he outgrew the current ones he already has or he has the need for it. Isla also grew pretty fast and skipped a few clothing sizes after her 2nd month so that resulted to me just using the newly purchased one without washing it. I really wouldn’t advise this but so far it has worked fine for us. If you have the time, do so just to be safe but if you don’t, you gotta do what you to, you know what I mean?!

7.       Use a pacifier

Nothing against it at all but I worked for a pediatrician for four years and I hear her advice our patients to not rely on them (never got to ask why she advised our patients not to, but some complained it became a sleep association and caused them more trouble than comfort). I know many babies that use or used them and not really depend on them other than having it for comfort and not so much for need. If you do use it, I don’t see why you can’t or shouldn’t. Both my kids however, refused it and I kind of just went along with that. It’s one less worry for me I guess because I don’t have to wean them from it. Isla however, thumb-sucks which is the next thing to paci so…not much difference there!
My Quino doesn’t know of it and his comfort is a tiny blanket which he chews on during sleepy time or to keep him occupied while in the crib (Click here to see).

8.       Purchase all baby gadgets

I have baby gadgets, they’re a must! I did however, decided to keep my baby gadgets to a small collection instead. I live in a town home that doesn’t boasts a huge space or separate kid space so my husband and I really wanted our collection to be kept small. I went with having a mini pack and play which doubled as my bassinet during the newborn phase and was Isla’s play pen during her infant phase, foldable rocker which doubles as my bouncer because it also vibrates, a foldable jumperoo, and a foldable high chair. I figured that if I don’t introduce the swing, the walker, the bouncer, the big gyms, my babies won’t know they exist. I was right and we survived without them (I did have a hand-me-down walker which we eventually gave up because of space issue). If you also noticed, I went with all foldable items, love ‘em!


No comments:

Post a Comment